why gm anything? this isn't a gm list! was gm alternator

why gm anything? this isn't a gm list! was gm alternator

> Why not rebuid the water pump, alternater, and carb, and other items that
> are hard to find.  In the old days almost everything use to be rebuilt.
> We're getting to use to buying off the shelf.  They're are shops that
still
> do this in almost every town of size.  For me using GM stuff is a very
> distant future.
> Don

I wholeheartedly agree that original MoPar parts are preferable in the vast
majority of situations.  I also am a complete believer in rebuilding rather
than replacing.

But one also needs to be pragmatic and use whatever is locally available and
maintainable.  For example, for an Imperial located in Japan, would it be
wrong to criticize someone who would use a Nissan alternator instead of a
MoPar, if price and practicality were an issue?

Then again, someone is always out there with a 'gotcha'.  At the risk of
getting by wrist slapped for uttering the 'J' word (Jaguar), let me cite an
example of how heterogenous the auto parts industry has become.  Many Jags
use a certain type of ignition amplifier for their High Energy ignition.  A
replacement is US $175 minimum from a Jag dealer.  But turn the Jag amp
over, remove a cover plate and what do you find inside?  A standard GM HEI
module, of course - a unit so common that you can find them in blister packs
at Wal-Mart for ten bucks or so.  Sometimes, only the name on the outside
changes.

Morale:  learn as much as you can so you can make the decision that makes
the most sense for any given situation.

Best,

John