finned cars

Hi Greg,

The canted fins, or actually "slanted" fins came on several cars of the late
50's.  The most pronounced canting of the fins are on the Chrysler and
DeSoto for 1960 and 1961.  Plymouth had canted fins in 57, 58, and 59 as did
Chrysler, and Dodge.  The Dodge fins are barely slanted, and can only be
seen as such straight from the back end of the car.

Imperial also had canted fins from 57 to 60.  The cant on these fins was
slight, especially the 60.

Apparently, this engineering was supposed to give these cars a "dart flight"
look.

The 61 Imperial has huge fins, but I'm not sure if they are canted or
not--I've never seen one up close.

Hope this helps you!!

Chris     60 Imperial Crown Sedan