Why the early Hemis were discontinued (Was The Forward Look)

Why the early Hemis were discontinued (Was The Forward Look)

Don, in a way both you and Arron are correct.  Yes, the Hemi has inherent
volumetric efficiency benefits.  However, the displacement requirements of the
industry were increasing, and the Hemi reached its displacement limits at 392
CID.  That's what Arron is saying.  Even at 392 CID, it already had a
relatively long stroke, which will reduce somewhat the volumetric efficiency.
My guess is that in terms of power per cubic inch, the earlier shorter stroke
hemis were superior.  In the Chrysler 300's, the 413's ended up being faster
than the 392's.  However, in the Imperial lower state of tune, it appears that
the 392's were a bit faster than the wedges, till the 440 appeared much later.

Here is an added point that Arron just toutched.  The main reason that the Hemi
was designed and introduced for a non-racing car in the late 40's was the very
low octane available back then.  The central plug location of the Hemi (as
opposed to the side location of a wedge) allows the engine to use a higher
compression ratio due to its knock resistance.  It turns out that when you
increase your compression ratio from say 7:1 to 8.5:1 or 9:1 (remember, we are
dealing with very low octane numbers here), you get a very serious efficiency
imrpovement.  Then, in the late fifties, the octane increased sufficiently that
any wedge could run with 10:1 compression ratio.  It turns out that increasing
the compression further (say 12:1) does not give as much of an incrememntal
advantage in efficiency and can reduce durability, so it made no sense for a
non-racing engine (a racing engine is a different story:  there, even 2 extra
horsepower can win you the race, and durability is no concern).  So, the main
advantage of the Hemi for a non-racing car became obsolete.

D^2