re:81 no oil pressure

Many times the shaft shears off at the very bottom tip area.  The camshaft
still turns the rest of the shaft, including the top half which turns the
distributor.

I have seen it happen several times on 318s, curiously the ones I have seen
have all been early 80s units.   I have found that a large piece of debris
gets into the pump and locks it up.  The shaft then shears.

So, even if that is the problem: sheared oil pump drive shaft, the oil pump &
pickup will need to be replaced.  If the debris somehow dislodged after the
shaft sheared, you could get lucky, but I would expect the oil flow to pull
it back in.

Jeff Ruffing
65 Imperial Crown covert
ASE Master Technician