200 mph 67 Imperial!

> power) the power requirement from the engine (net)
> would be 652 hp, or about
> twice the power of a stock 440HP engine (remember,

I love this discussion!  Who would have thought of
making a rocket out of an IMPERIAL?  Anyway, the '67
is a great body for it- unibody, which makes it light
and stiff, but heavy enough to make it very stable.
If a 3000 lb NASCAR can do 200mph, a 5000 lb Imp would
be fine...even subtract 1000lb, it would still be
stable- esp with that wheelbase!

As for the motor, 1 HP per cubic inch is very doable
for little $$.  you'll need 1.5, which is still not
out of the ballpark.  I'd recommend the 502 wedge
crate engine from Mopar Performance.  For about 8
grand, you get a good 500 HP, loads of torque, and a
few more cubes.  This way, you can hit your HP mark
with only a 1.3 HP/cu in ratio, thus lessening the
possibility of needing a really radical cam or forced
induction.  you'll also make it more durable.

> Now, with the 2.94 gears, if you used the usual
> tires (235/75R15) 200 mph would
> correspond to about 6600 rpm.  Of course, I doubt

Yes, but as D^2 said, you should go with a lower
profile tire, possibly even a slightly smaller
diameter.  6600 RPM is certainly doable even with the
long stroke 440 or 502 (as opposed to the short stroke
383/400).  Make sure you balance that rotating
assembly!

> Anyway, I doubt the stock heads can give you that
> much power.  If you used
> heads w/ larger valves (say 2.14 intake and 1.80

Like the aluminum edelbrock heads!  Which should also
fit the 502, as its a bored 440.  502, edelbrock
heads, headers, cam slightly more than the HP (say
maybe 288 or 292) and a dual 4 barrel intake...windage
tray, hi-vol oil pump, adjustable timing chain....oh
look, I'm salivating.  ;)

> able to get that much power with confidence without
> having to rev it to 8000
> rpm, and still maintain some low end, is with forced
> induction.  I have read on

Other than the 502, you could also try the 451 trick-
stroking a 400 engine.  This would probably be
cheaper, and give you a few more cubes.  Heck, punch
it out for an even 460 or 470 if you like!  Edelbrock
makes a 'B' engine head too, I believe.

> Oh yes, if you want to keep the stock speedometer,
> you can recalibrate it in
> meters per second instead of mph.  89 meters per
> second is 200 mph!  If a cop
> pulls you over, show him the "70 speed limit" sign
> and tell him: hey, the units
> were not defined!  I thought the speed limit was 70
> meters per second!  I am
> not sure if it will hold in court though.

I love it!  Yeah, I doubt Mopar makes a speedo gear
for the 727 that would allow you to recal for, say 1/2
reduction (ie 35 mph indicated=70 mph actual, etc)
You also might like to maintain the odometer.  Then
again, I don't know how "stripped" you're making the
interior!

The Gear Vendors OD unit would be ideal for this car.
with a 4.11 rear or maybe a bit more, you can make a
really revving 440/451/502, and accelerate
respectably, and then kick in the OD to get your top
end up.  This would be esp good for street use, esp.
in the USA, where acceleration is more important than
top end.  Just where are you planning on hitting
200mph, anyway?  The Salt Flats perhaps would be a
good place.

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

Thanksgiving cometh