Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 7:45 PM
To: MAILING-LIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: REBUILD,MODIFICATIONS,ROAD TRIPS

Hi All; Some of you may remember when I posted a guestion about a broken
crankshaft in our 67 Imp. last August. This is a delayed update. Itstarted
as
a light knock in the engine when we were about 85 miles from home. After the
usual checks, we drove it home carefully. It was quiet as long as we kept
the
load on the engine as light as possible. When I disassembled the engine, I
found that the crank had broken across the #2 rod journal. I had the block
and heads completely blueprinted and new hard seats installed (for the
mordern gas). all moving parts in the engine were replaced with new or
remanufactured parts. The engine was completly rebalanced. I installed a
mild
Edelbrock cam. I also rebuilt the transmission while it was out.  All the
work was finished and the car back together in late September. We had put
about 1500 miles on it by Thanksgiving.
    Our oldest son lives in Portland,Or. We are in Sacramento,Ca. On the
Tuesday before Thanksgiving, Miriam ( my wife) drove the Imp. to Portland
and
returned on the Sunday afterward.  The big car performed perfectly. On the
Saturday before Christmas, our son was coming home from Portland when his
latest rice rocket broke down. He was about 270 miles from his place and 335
from ours. When we got the call, we jumped in the Imp.  and  went to the
rescue. It took just over 4 hours to get there,  including one stop for gas
and two pit stops (women!). This drive includes the Mount Shasta area and
the
Tehatchapee mountains. I rented a dolly and towed his car home. This is the
main reason I have a 3500 pound hitch on our car.
This is the 5th time I have towed cars for my kids.
     The alternator had burned out on his rice rocket. A new one (only
available from the dealer) cost $180.00. His car now has a brand X alt just
like our Imp. It cost $40.00 at the local store. The bracket was fabricated
in about an hour.
    The Imp. tows beautifully. Mounting a hitch to the unibody was quite a
challenge, but well worth the effort. I can hardly wait to get the dual
exhaust done. At least with Tristan now on the list ours won't be the most
modified car here.
    Has anyone found a source for a headlight switch for the 67 & 68 Imp.s?
Istill need one. Thanks
    Larry
    67 Crown 4DRHT