1973 and me this last weekend

Quoting kenyon wills <imperialist60@xxxxxxxxx>:

Please see inserts in your text.

> fine.  I'm a cheapskate, so what the heck, I bought cheap gas.  The
> mechanic had consequently advanced the timing far enough to stop all
> pinging (caused by the cheapskate gas).  It turns out that he had it
> REALLY advanced, because the car died when I advanced it just a hair
> more
> by mistake, and this should not happen.

OK, do you mean "retard" here?  The more you advance (turn distributor
clockwise from top) the more you tend to induce pinging.  Retarding slows down
pinging but you may loose torque.  Too advanced could make the idle unstable.

> I filled the car with 91 octane gas and then tried fiddling with the

These cars w/ low compression ratio (I think you have either 7.8 or 8.2) should
run well with the lowest octane.  I suspect your engine has carbon deposits.  I
would suggest either try to clean these w/ water (as described in the list
before) or with a few good high speed runs.  After you get the engine cleaned
up, you can try the lower octane again.  If it is still pinging, do some more
high speed runs!

You would think that these deposits "help" since they raise your compression
ratio.  Unfortunately, they usually raise the compression ratio of one or two
cylinders only, and these are the ones that ping.  Once you get the engine
cleaned, you can save lot's of bucks on cheap gas.  If you engine does not need
high octane, you are totally waisting your money using it.

> Moral of the story:  Take your car in with "super" gas if you get it
> tuned.  If your car diesels after shutdown, this is possibly an
> indication
> of too-far advanced timing.  They make distributor wrenches that work
> really well, and not everyone may be aware of them.  Worth the money to
> buy one, says I.

Premioum gas is the short term solution.  The long term is to get the engine
free of carbon deposits

D^2