Buying Cars from dealers

I have no experience with this company.  I've always bought (old) cars from
individuals.  My impression, though, based on having known people who sold
their old cars to dealerships, is that you end up paying a higher price.  I
know a guy who had a '68 New Yorker, for example.  I nearly bought it from him
for $3000.  Then I backed out for various reasons.  The next thing I know this
car is at an dealership, being advertized for $7000.

I don't think this is criminal-- these guys gotta make a living.  But generally
speaking, I think you should be able to find whatever car you're looking for in
private hands at a lower cost and have fewer surprises in the long run.

That's not to say someone hasn't found a gem at a dealership!  I'm sure there's
pros & cons on both sides of the story . . .

Mark M