68 Crown charging system

Hi all,
   After 2 dead batteries away from home I finally figured out something
was amiss. I had Kragen check the charging system and was told it showed
no charging system output. At that time the needle was dead center of
the small band in the center of the Alternator gauge,whether the car was
running or not. I installed a new Voltage Regulator and a used
Alternator I had in the garage. The Alternator gauge now shows an
increase on RPM(it did not before) and shows a decrease(but not
discharge as judged by headlite output) which is immediately picked up
by charging system. The problem is when the car is turned off the alt
gauge needle stays at the first mark to right of center-about halfway
between center of gauge and full charge(extreme right). it will not
return to center when turned off. It does show charge and discharge at
this "new" center when the car is run with equipment turned off and on.
What could cause this "new" center for my gauge?
Thanks
Don Savard