Re (2): IML: Imperial Club Coupe vs Southampton

Re (2): IML: Imperial Club Coupe vs Southampton

It fits into the marketing department. Often, the folks over in Service & Parts
who developed the FSMs had no clue what the marketing guys were calling the
cars to the public.

I've seen the term "suburban" [as a noun] used by itself in numerous Mopar
Service & Parts materials as a generic term for any any Mopar wagon. (Anyone
ever see a Dart Suburban? The Parts Dept thinks so.) I've seen the Mobile
Director option called a number of different names.

Often, the manuals are being developed before the marketing people have gotten
model and feature names approved. So the Service & Parts info gets published
with different terminology, and that terminology sticks in future publications
from within the same department.

Chances are, if Service & Parts had learned the name Southampton early on, the
FSM for the '78 NYB would still be calling my 4-door hardtop a Southampton, too.

Chris in LA