polishing kits

Subject: IML: polishing kits

> Does anyone have experience with any of those cheap home polishing kits
that
> you put on your grinding wheel? I'm looking to polish some old wheels and
> valve covers and I have seen them at JC Whitney & Eastwood.  Anybody use
> either kit? Recommendations?
> Thanks again,
> Rob

I have a buffing motor I bought from Harbor Freght.com and the buffing
wheels from the same source.  I use compound sticks from both Eastwood (kind
of costly) and a couple other sources.  It takes a while to get the hang of
it.  Start with something small, and that is already gone, because you will
shoot it into the floor and wall a number of times learning how to polish.
I havn't tried anything really big and heavy like a wheel.  Are you thinking
of polishing plated parts?  If you can't clean up plated parts with chrome
polish and a rag, it is probably beyond buffening, needing replating.
Buffing is for bare metal polishing only.  If you are real careful, youcan
do plastic, too.

John