Good weekend

Hi, all, especially those in the grip of frozen winter.  I have just had a
lovely Imperial weekend.  Yesterday I took the car out for a long drive in
the country.  I belong to the class of owners who simply want to drive their
Imperial.  There are others who like to tinker with them, and others who
like to show them off.  Me, it's all about the driving.  I get off the
beaten track as much as possible.  Get the car on to some nice, twisty, hill
country roads.  For the umpteenth time, I ran out of gas yesterday.  I had
just noticed the gauge had been consistently reading just under one quarter
of a tank since I had left the house and decided to stop at a Chevron
station where the country road I was on met the freeway.  I didn't make it
by just over a mile.  I opened the hood and started walking.  It was a
beautiful day and the roads around Bulverde are very pretty at this time of
year.  The third vehicle that passed me stopped and I got a ride to the gas
station.  A middle aged woman, a rancher, the kind with the big fore arms
who can pitch a hay bale like it was a soft ball.  "Couldn't see you
walking, son, even on such a wonderful day."  When we got to the station she
needed to fill her truck, too.  A man already filling up called over to me,
"Hey, are the dude who was walking away from that big old car?"  Before I
can say a word, my saviour turns around to him and snarled, "Yeah, doofus.
I know your daddy raised you better than to see someone walking away from a
car like that and not stop to help.  Lord help us, but I know he did."
Some Texans take their community responsibilities seriously, and if than get
to beat up their little brother in public too, well that's just a bonus.
Carrying two brand new one gallon gas tanks, I set off back towards the car,
having assured the lady I was sure I would get another lift.  I was right.
First pick up that passed.  Two sedans breezed on by.  But yet another lady
rancher, another hard working, strong woman, stopped, had me put the gas in
the back and took me to the car.  "Nice car.  reckon she'll start with the
gas?"  I assured her it would and she took off, with a smile.  Sure enough,
with a drop in the carburetor to prime it, the car purred back to life.  The
whole thing must have taken less than fifteen minutes.

Me, Treece and Jennifer went out today to Perdenales Falls, near Johnson
City today.  To my surprise, Treece thought we should take the Imperial
which was conveniently parked on the street.  She does not really trust it
but we were going with friends who were taking their car so maybe she
thought she wouldn't have to worry too much if the car did break down.
Also, she can lie straight across that big back seat and sleep, always a big
plus.  I am delighted to report that Mrs. Blueberry did not let herself
down.  She was about as flawless as possible.  Just rolled right along.  I
still am impressed that I can forget all those techniques I learned when I
drove anemic vehicles.  No need to gain or conserve momentum in an Imperial.
Gotta love being able to accelerate up those long straight hills, passing
all kinds of cars like there were standing still.  For some reason,
everywhere we stopped, folks were oohing and aahing over the car.  We
encountered some biker chicks at a gas station, dressed to my surprise in
just tee shirts and jeans.  They loved the car.  Jenny pointed out the
obvious, sotto voce, once back in the car.  "Won't they be cold?"  I had to
agree.  It was a nice day for a hike and clambering over the sheet rocks
that make up the falls but even we didn't have the windows open.  Not that I
didn't get a sun burn, come to think of it, but not as much as the convoy of
slow moving, tricked out Jeeps we passed on the way home with their roofs
off and doors removed.  They all tooted their horns and flashed their lights
as we thundered by, high stylin' by comparison.  It seems just about
everyone can appreciate an Imperial.

She is still burning and dripping way too much oil but the rear window on
the passenger side came back to life mysteriously today, so I have to count
that as a blessing.  That door does not open, so gaining access to the motor
and wiring would not have been fun.  I think I'd have to remove the door
from the post on the truncated B pillar, not something I have on my list of
things I am just itching to do.  As I said before, for me, it's all about
the driving.

Hugh
58 Imperial.  Old, unique and, today, a real pleasure to have around.