Dreaded asterisk and odometer 81-83?

From what I recall reading, that means the dash was replaced. That was the cars other big problem when new. Right behind fuel injection.
----- Original Message -----
From: William
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 9:50 PM
Subject: IML: Dreaded asterisk and odometer 81-83?

Hello folks,
I have finally cleared the carcass of the 82 Imperial out of my shop and I have set to work on the "refreshing" of the 83. I noticed on the IML website a reference to the "dreaded asterisk". I happen to have such a creature (I assume it refers to that little dot between "ODO" and "MI") on my odometer. What exactly does this mean? Does this explain why it is showing 130K miles or 110K Kms (these are not equal, for those who are metric illiterate ;-) ? I am going to have lots more questions as I enter these uncharted waters of early EFI, but I will start here....Thanks for the help.
William
83 EFI
Edmonton Canada