Good news from an odd direction.

Good news!  I was fired from my last job on 1/30/03.  You'd be amazed how
much the bosses don't like being chewed out by a peon when they screw up.  I
know I was.  What a relief.  I had really come to dislike the job and was
already in hunt mode, so it just made things a little more focused.  (There
is an Imperial angle coming, so chill, dudes, chill.)  I took what I
considered to be a temporary job so I would have one while I was looking for
a good one.

One of the first places I applied at was a Chrysler / Dodge / Plymouth
dealership.  I took along my 1st place plaque from the last local Mopar
show, for my non-Imperial Le baron, and also a rather disreputable 1958
Imperial of some long acquaintance.  I think if you are going to show up at
a country dealership, one should arrive as conspicuously as possible.  I did
not wash the Imperial, maybe hoping to hide the truly awful paint work on
the car,  I told them I was sick of making peanuts and wanted a job where I
could afford to get the thing a decent paint job.

Nothing came of it, at first.  What can you do but move on?  I applied at
another MOPAR dealership as well, one that was about to open.  I was a
little more conservative there.  Nada.  Nada until today.  The country
dealership officially offered me a job today.  Not in finance, which is what
I was anticipating, and where, indeed, I may end up, but in sales.  New and
used.

Now, I cannot recommend this course of action to everyone.  You may not have
a first place car, albeit one that was written off in an accident last year
and then rebuilt before winning the prize.  You almost certainly don't have
an Imperial that looks as weird as mine.  But I hope you will agree that he
somehow contributed to me gaining this position.  I also hope they will
induce me to achieve some sort of longevity and success in the job.

Hugh