CA Senate Bill 708 needs to be defeated

Lets not grow any urban legends out of this CA SB 708 thing!
First, it does exist, although it has not been assigned yet. As Jim Martin said
go to Google and enter CA Senate Bill 708, click on the link that comes up
(That is the same URL as in the original link that doesn't work, go figure!),
and then you can read it as it is written.
The bill makes no mention of retrofitting old cars with EGR! It basically takes
us back to 1997 when all 1965 and newer cars had to have a smog check. The smog
check for 1965 consisted of checking the PCV valve and unless the car smoked or
the fuel mixture was so out of tune that the car barely ran, it was OK. Cars
before 1965 have no actual smog equipment, the worst that could possibly happen
is that they be required to install a PCV breather, which is a good thing,
keeping volatile fumes out of the crank case that could possibly build up and
blow off you valve covers (yeah right!). The sticky wicket starts with some 66
and all 67 to 73 models that had increasing emissions controls. The CAP (Clean
Air Package) on 66 models sold in L.A. and all 67s shouldn't be much of a
problem save for those that trashed their carburetors in favor of aftermarket
models, but as the years advance, the systems get more complex.
Now for the reasons not to worry. Dean Florez is a local twit (I live in
Bakersfield, the Burbank of the San Joaquin Valley!) who is starting to give
Democrats a bad name by coming up with this lame crap! Probably more to impress
farmers than environmentalists by taking the attention off of all the impact
agriculture has on air quality. The reason this won't pass is that it will be
more work for the DMV to track the additional cars for little benefit,
furthermore, CA barely has the money for real cops much less smog cops waiting
on the side of the road, that is pure fantasy! Finally, something actually
directly Imperial related! California did have an old car buying program where
they paid owners $650.00 to get old presumably polluting cars off the road.
These cars had to be already registered and drivable moving under their own
power in both directions, which is where my Imperial comes in, my buddy, (the
Cretin!), tried to cash in on the program by selling his (then) Imperial to the
program, but was unable to for it's lack of reverse, so he had to settle for
the $500.00 that I paid him! As far as corporations buying up junkyards of old
cars to crush for cash or air quality credit, that is nonsense also.
Let the flames begin!

Roy
67 Crown FDHT
m¶ŸÿÃ