leaking fuselage

Sad but true ..but it's actually the door weatherstrip seal..The water follows the door down then slides behind the kick panel.(follows the kick panel moulding and the moulding around the door) I have a 71 Newport with the same trouble. I keep my car mostly dry so it's not really a problem but on occasion..hard rain and voila..wet floor.  The old weatherstrip is pliable still..but shrunk.

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark McDonald
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 2:38 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: leaking fuselage

This pertains to a 1970 New Yorker, not an Imperial, but since they're
both "fuselage era" cars and the problem is supposedly a common one in
Imperials, I hope you will bear with me.

When it rains, a small puddle develops on the floorboard of my '70
NYer.  It is located on the driver's side, approximately where your left
foot would be, or right next to the kick panel.  You can't actually see
any water, but if you touch the carpet it's soaked and the car is
beginning to get that musty smell.

I guessed that the leak was from the windshield and taped up the edges
of the windshield about 2 weeks ago before I went on a trip.  Well, that
didn't help.  So I'm going to fill in with some silicone sealer, but I'm
still just guessing at this point.

It appears to be coming from behind the plastic kick panel.  I am
guessing the leak is directly above that point.  Is there a systematic
way of tracking these things down?

Thanks, Mark