66 gas door paint

True,

Those areas are not shiny after 37 years of exposure.
But were they glossy when new?   I really don't know
the answer to that one.

But even if originally done in high gloss, years of
oxidation and abrasion from washing will dull the very
thinly applied black finish used on chrome trim.

I personally like a satin gloss for those areas, but
would not be adverse to painting them high gloss if I
were re-doing them, knowing they would inevitably dull
in luster, anyway.

But for my car, I would definitely use gloss on a gas
door.  After all, the LeBarons used gloss body paint
there, and gloss, especially a urethane clear-coated
gloss, would hold up much better against any spilled
gasoline.

But I guess it all boils down to personal preference.
If my car had a super-high-gloss mirror paint job and
excellent chrome, I would go high gloss all the way.
If my surfaces were less than perfect, a satin finish
would probably give the better look.

Chris H.

60 NY T&C
66 Crown Convertible