Finally replaced my son's 59 Imperial generator w. an alternator.

Finally replaced my son's 59 Imperial generator w. an alternator.

Re: the burning-out generator...

My son's very low mileage 58 Plymouth Belvedere had the same problem.
Generator rebuild after rebuild, new regulators after regulators, polarizing
after polarizing. Well, it turned out the ground from the engine to body was
not good. There was corrosion where the bolt screwed the ground strap into
the firewall -- so, in reality there was no grounding of the body to engine.
Cleaned out the corrosion, rebolted and it has been perfect ever since.

Sherwood Kahlenberg