Fuel Filter Question

68 Coupe

I began with a car which would hardly idle. Black smoke pouring out of the exhaust, and the looping idle was impossible to maintain, all the while, drinking gas like crazy and the crank case filling up with that gas. Totally undrivable.

I am doing all the work and I have accomplished the following things over the last couple weeks:

I have replaced my in-line fuel filter, oil and filter, pcv valve, plugs (autolite 85's) and freshly rebuilt Holley carb. Already had a new set of wires, points, which I reset, and dist. cap. I tuned it and set the timing by feel, probably not the best way but I haven't got a timing light and I'm not sure that it would be helpful for a car this old.

I was able to drive the car for about 20 minutes, today. The smoke is better, but there's some in the engine compartment. (am going to check valve cover gaskets) Idle is better, but there's a point starting out from a dead stop where the engine coughs then goes. Basically, it coughs a lot when I hit the gas.

More interesting, the new in line filter is clear. It isn't filling up with gas. There's a trickle going in and that's it. There are no gas leaks and the crank case isn't filling up with gas anymore. That's a good thing.

Could it be that I have a defective fuel pump? Is there a filter which could be blocked in the tank on a 68?

It was great to drive it today. 54º and the two working windows down, search tune AM-FM playing, AutoTemp keeping up. As soon as I get this running properly I will start refinishing the bronze dash panels and getting the dash lights and idiot combo light to work. That's another story.....

EdH
'68 Crown Coupe
http://homepage.mac.com/printbear/PhotoAlbum3.html