Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 4:05 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Tragic, yet preventable accident!

I am extremely sorry to hear about that trajic accident, as once again we are reminded how extremely valuable life is. I would like to make a suggestion to everyone reading this....Do NOT TRUST Jackstands by themselves! As we all know there are all makes and sizes of stands out there and sometimes in the interest of saving a few bucks we buy the cheaper ones. #1) As all IMPERIAL owners know, BIGGER is BETTER. Always use overkill in deciding on a purchase that could affect your life when working on your automobile. Jackstands should be of the TRIPOD design, meaning THREE legs, and not FOUR. They should also have sufficient bracing and the height adjustment should be PINNED in place. I myself very rarely use Jackstands, and MOST CERTAINLY DO NOT use CEMENT(cinder) blocks( the weight of 5,000 + lbs. can easily crack the blocks!! I would rather use WOOD. I have over 1 dozen 4"x6"x12"long pressure trated blocks along with several 4"x4"x6" p.t. blocks that I arrange in a criss-cross pattern under each side of the frame. The top block is always a 4"x4" that should end up placed perpendicular to the frame, so that when the car is lowered onto the wood it will compress across the grain of the wood so as to compact it, not split it. The wood acts like a cushion and conforms slightly to the steel resting on it. You can actually take a 20lb long-handled sledge and give them a few good wallops; with the weight of the car and the pavement against the wood, it WILL NOT BUDGE! #2) Any Jacking device should be of the 3 Ton or better #3) Ramps are another point to consider- some are TOO small for a 15"+ wheel, I had a pair where the backside of the tire was actually a few inches DOWN the ramp even though the tire was up against the stop! When using ramps, ALWAYS use a Wedge block behind BOTH tires on the ground; a few whacks with a hammer to lock them in place won't hurt either(as long as you don't miss the blocks and whack something else!) #4) Always try to place the auto on pavement or solid ground, you"ll be surprised how fast a floor jack sinks into your lawn! #5) If working on a Hot Summer day the blacktop becomes soft; I find that sliding a 1/2" or thicker piece of exterior plywood about 3 feet wide x4 to 6 feet long will not only protect you, it will prevent your floor jack from creating sink holes in your driveway. Everyone just needs to use common sense and think things through before doing them, that way there will be more IMPERIALISTS around to enjoy their accomplishments.
Mike Veronesi-President of the Northeast IMPERIAL Owners Club; (N.E.I.O.C.)  1967 Imperial Crown: 1969 Imperial LeBaron; 1990 Imperial....?