How to clean your clock.

I have to chime in here and remind folks about our IML resources.   I wrote
a long diatribe about how to clean a clock about 5 or 6 years ago, and it is
still on there, with detailed directions and sources for the products you'll
need.

 #1 caution is never use anything on a clock but the correct cleaning and
lubrication products.  WD40 is great for displacing water, that is what it
is designed to do.  It has many other uses that it was not designed for
(starting fluid, whitewall cleaner, sticker removal solvent etc. etc), but
it is not a LUBRICANT!   It will act like one until it dries, then it
becomes a gummy residue, which will stop your clock as fast as granny's
picture!

Use clock cleaner, and genuine clock oil, very sparingly applied, and the
clock will come back to life and run for years and years.  Every single one
of my collector cars has had this treatment, all my clocks work and keep
good time, some for over 30 years now (of course the batteries are only
hooked up when I am using the car, so they don't get a lot of hours in all
those years, but they never fail again).  Quartz movements are nice when you
want a rock solid, durable, very accurate clock which ticks every second.
But the old 'winds every 3 minutes with a clunk' type clock that came in the
old cars is part of the charm to me, and lets me boast that, at least in my
47 Packard Limo, the loudest sound at 50 MPH is the clock!  (and it keeps
damn accurate time, too!)

Dick Benjamin

> Hi Joel, I took mine out and sprayed the life out lf it with WD40, It
worked fine after that. There is a little thin wire where the motor
attaches to the clock make sure  that is not broke. IT is as thin as a
spider web.