licence plates (black and otherwise)

Hello All,

As usual, I learn so much from being a member of this group.  I have wondered for a long time what the term "California Black Plate Car"  meant.  I shall wonder no more.  Down here in LA (lower Alabama) we purchase vintage plates for vehicles 30 years and older.  It is a one time charge and is good for the length of time you keep the vehicle in your possession.  You have to sign an affidavit stating you do not use the vehicle as a daily driver and that it is primarily used for parades, car shows and collector car events.  The police do not enforce this so you do see some 30 year or older daily driven clunkers riding around with the same "Vintage Vehicle" tag as a fully restored gem that is occasionally driven.  The law changed four or so years ago and these new "requirements" went into effect.  As for putting a tag on the car from the year it was built, I have a '66 tag on the front of my '66 Toronado and when the '65 Imperial convertible graduates from restoshop school, it shall receive a '65 tag on the front bumper.  These vintage tags can be found at swap meets, antique and collectible shops and even at the flea market in various conditions.  Can't be used on the rear, just the front as a fun way to let others know what county you're from and in what year the car was made.

Greg McDonnell
Mobile, AL