Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 1:45 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Front end 'THUNK"

Have you checked the ball joints?  You know how to check the condition of the
ball joints, rihgt?  You just raise the car so the tire is off the ground and
check for motion as you try to turn the wheel and and out (or up and down,
which ever term you prefer).  If its not moving, you are fine.  If it is, it
could be the wheel bearings, so ask somebody else to shake the wheel while you
are looking to see what moves in respect to what.  It could also be the strut
rod bushing, but I am not sure if that can cause the shimmy wheel.  Are you
sure the two symptoms are related?  Shimmy wheel could be due to tire balance
issues or bad alignment.

I am having a similar problem on my 68 Sedan by the way.  I think that part of
my problem is isolator bushings, but the 64 does not have those, as its not
unibody.  Another possibility for my problem is sway bar bushings.

D^2, 2x68