Metal guage

Kerry, its tricky to measure thickness of thin sheet metal because its hard to
make a good cut.  If you have a disposeable pannel, you could cut a certain
size square (say 2"x2") and weigh it on an accurate scale.  From there, you can
calculate the volume and thus thickness (density of steel is known, about 8
grams/cm^3).

I have observed my cars, and have noticed that not all pannels are of the same
thickness, and some of course are double sheet.

Also, my guess is that the gage changed over the years.  Especially in the 70's.

D^2