exhaust manifold for a 66 imperial

I had a similar problem with my 73, but with the head to manifold
surfaces.

The machine shop recoiled in horror at my cast iron ex. manifold, claiming
that cast iron eats the machine tools up and that "nobody local does them
anymore".  Whatever.  I stopped shopping after the first guy told me that
and rethought my problem.

I then re-innspected my setup and determined that there was petrified crud
on the block.  I used a die-grinder with a small 3" wire wheel to
completely dress both surfaces (manifold and the surface that it mates to)
and removed all traces of previous gasket materials.  I then replaced all
nuts as well - the originals were pretty rough & rusty and more prone to
rounding.  The studs got wire-wheeled in the cleaning process, and I think
that the threads were happier as a result.

The new gaskets had been riding high on one section of old gasket and
blowing around it as a consequence after some useage.  Zero problems since
this, and NO machining was required.  Could be that the cast iron is
hearty enough that it comes out of plane less than the machine
shops/common sense might claim?  Try holding your manifold up to a
straight-edge AFTER aggressively wire wheeling it before concluding that
it is bad would be my suggestion.

If you have not done this already, you may be able to reduce your costs to
a wire wheel and some quality time in your engine compartment.  The
die-grinder may fit better than a power drill.

--- "A. Foster" <monkeypuzzle1@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dave;
>  Remove that exhaust manifold from the engine and take it to a machine
> shop, they should be able to plane that mating surface flat again.
> Alternatively you could double up on the gaskets, or use a thicker one,
> between the pipe and the manifold; but I am not sure how long that would
> work. Another alternative would be to grab a manifold off of a 383, I
> could be wrong but I believe that they are interchangeable with the 440
> ones and 383's are easy to find.
> Best Regards
> Arran Foster
> 1954 Imperial Newport
> Needing A Left Side Taillight Bezel and other trim parts.

=====
Kenyon Wills
San Lorenzo/SF Bay Area

196o Imperial LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
http://www.imperialclub.com/YearbyYear/1960/Kenyon/Page01.htm
1973 Imperial LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious
http://www.imperialclub.com/YearbyYear/1973/wills/