2003 Imperial 'Eagle' by Virgil Exner, Jr.

2003 Imperial 'Eagle' by Virgil Exner, Jr.

Mark;
  I do appreciate the effort by Ex Jr. in coming up with this design but
lets remember, it is only a styling exercise on paper, so to speak. Most of
our cars originated in a fashion similar to this and were refined and
rendered down to something with only a few of the original concepts when it
came to the production models. In fact they were probably the product of at
least a half a dozen renderings like this, remember that Virgil Sr. did have
a staff working with him on all of these cars. Lets face it, I seriously
doubt whether we would ever see a production car, meaning a production of
1000 units or more, with a space age composite body, its just too expensive.
 My critique may sound like knitpicking to you but you should see what the
design commitees at the big automakers do. In every instance where I
levelled a criticism I explained why and how I thought that it could be
solved. Other then the roofline I thought that most were minor details
easily changed, at least it didn't have an ugly high decklid. However we
were asked for input and I have given mine.
  As for whether something like this would be built in the next few years, I
doubt it. Aside from the ownership/ management issues at D.M, at this time,
there is the posible issue of turf wars over such  a concept. The
established workforce in Chrysler's styling department may resent, and be
unable to accept, design submissions coming from an outsider.
 I am personally indifferent as to whether they build a new Imperial or not
as I already have mine. Given the fact that every attempt to revive the
marque, since 1975, has either been treated half heartedly or botched in
some way, perhaps its better that they don't. As I always say, if your going
to do something, take the time and do it right or waste time and do it quick
and wrong.
Best Regards
Arran Foster
1954 Imperial Newport
Needing A Left Side Taillight Bezel and other trim parts.