first start of the day

My father always said:

When your car is cold, pump the accelerator pedal twice, all the way to the floor, then turn the key and it should start. If it doesn't, hold the accelerator pedal to the floor, don't pump it, just hold it there and turn the key.

Of course, this is for non-fuel injection cars. The first pump sets the choke and the second one gives the carb a good shot of gas to help it get going. Continual pumping would flood the car.

This method is my mantra with carburetor equipped cars and it's served me well right up to my current '68. Not sure why holding the pedal to the floor works on a difficult starting situation, but it does.

I'm sure that another member will give you a much better answer but I had to put my 2¢ in!

Ed

EdH
'68 LeBaron FDHT
http://homepage.mac.com/printbear/PhotoAlbum3.html