Finally! It's here.

Mel, what is your email address for private mail, regards George.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 1:29 AM
Subject: IML: Finally! It's here.

For some period of time I have been looking for a 1959 Imperial FDHT and I had hoped to acquire one with a silvercrest roof. Last month I traveled to Washington, D.C. and bought a car with a lot of potential. The exterior is dark ruby with a black landau roof (plus the silvercrest). The interior is (maybe "was" is a better term) red leather. The car has dual A/C, electric windows, electric door locks, electric swivel front seats, a beam changer and a number of other "goodies". From a distance it looks gorgeous but as you get closer the "warts" begin to appear. Most disappointing is the condition of the dash as some of the damage did not occur as a natural outcome of aging. The glass speedometer is cracked, there is damage from someone prying near the glovebox, a lot of corrosion has occurred, gauges don't work,.... I am not sure how I will approach this problem but I do know that there will be many other problems (actually I like the word "challenges" better) to keep this one company.
The drive train appears to be in good shape ( I actually drove the car!). Don't know if it has sure grip and I'm not sure what number to look for on the assortment of numbers near the radiator.
I want to comment on Curves Ahead Transport (Tim and Kim Kelly). They hauled the car from D.C. to Pembina, N.D. and I transported from there to Dauphin, Manitoba, Canada (about another 300 miles). They picked the car up when they said (Sunday), delivered it when they said (yesterday), were courteous, helped me load it onto my trailer, and charged a fair price for their service. I would not hesitate to recommend them. Why didn't they haul it all the way? Two reasons 1) customs and 2) they are not licensed to haul in Canada.
It is my intention to restore this car to a # 2 condition (not 2.5 but 2.0) and I want to get it there in less than 12 months. It is already in the restoration shop. Any advice with respect to long lead time items ( or anything else)will be greatly appreciated. I now consider myself to be in the "wart removal" mode.

Mel
Dauphin, Manitoba.