Oil pressure . . . help!

OK, my turn to ask for help.

I was finally able to take my 83 out for a spin Friday!!
Yay!

Here's what happened.  It started right up, and
I let her idle for a couple of minutes.  (I last drove
it around on Halloween.  It's been in the garage
since. I did start it up a couple of times during the winter.)

The last time I ran it, I noticed a slight 'ticking' noise
but it went away.

So, on my drive Friday things went fine at first.
I took her out on the highway and cruised
for about 3 miles, and then turned around.  On the
way back I decided that I would give it the gas
and stepped on it.  I noticed the usual blackish
cloud out the back but she took right off.

Then, just a quarter mile from home the oil light
started to flicker on, slowly getting stronger
until it finally stayed on as I coasted into the
driveway.  I could here that 'ticking' noise
again, so I shut it off.

I checked for obvious leaks - none.  I checked
the oil level- fine.

I started it up again, and the ticking was there
but the oil light did not come on.  I used the
old 'broomstick to the ear' trick and tried different
spots around the engine until I could hear the
ticking at the right front on the valve cover. As
I was listening, the ticking faded away and she
was running smooth.

So, I pulled out onto the road, and no problem.
I went down the street and then stopped and let
it idle.  No ticking, no oil light.  I turned around
and gave it the gas again.

Sure enough the ticking came back and the light
flickered back on.

HELP.  I looked in the FSM.  One possible cause
is a clogged oil filter.  Could it be that simple?

I sure hope it's not major, as I have never done
any major engine work.

Any ideas?   (I will probably change the oil and
filter ASAP anyway.)

Dan Wing
Marcy, NY  USA

imp1983@xxxxxxxx