idler arm replacement

<<<<<<<<<<<
the difference is very subtle and
occurs only when cornering.>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<his 67 Crown, It drives, steers and rides as an
Imperial should with absolutely no decernable difference from the
original>>>>>>>>

<<<<I wonder if an alignment shop would know the difference or if they have
to do something different to compensate >>>>>>>>

The difference isn't quite that subtle.
What the shorter arm does is alter the
toe-out-on-turns geometry of the
front end.  It cannot be compensated for by alignment adjustments because
it is a basic function of the design of the steering linkage, independent of
the initial toe-in setting or the other alignment settings. One noticeable
effect is that the steering wheel will not return to center correctly after
a right turn. It's probably not a fatal flaw, but could be dangerous if the
driver is unaccustomed to the car and unaware of the slightly quirky
steering. Or in an emergency situation.
I'd have to weigh in on the side of
using the proper part, even if it is a
couple of hundred bucks. 'Course
I wouldn't put flammable hydrocarbons under 150 PSI or more
in 35 year old hoses under the hood
of a car, either. Maybe I'm just a wuss.
:)

Cheers
Michael

Roger and Michael in San Diego