65 crown convertible shock absorbers SUGGESTIONS?

65 crown convertible shock absorbers SUGGESTIONS?

Use KYB model KG 4507's in the front. KG5511 in the
rear.

They don't list the front shock in the KYB catalog for
use in Imperials because the lower mounting tube will
have to be trimmed a little to fit in its intended
bracket on the lower control arm.

To trim:  Remove one of the old shocks,  measure the
lower tube thru which the mounting bolt goes through,
and, using a grinder, trim the KYB's tube to match.
Make sure to have a bucket of water next to you, and
dip the portion of the shock being ground off
repeatedly in the water during grinding, to avoid
damage from heat to the rubber bushing around the
tube.  Sample its fit in lower mounting bracket.  When
it slides in snugly, install shock.

To install front shocks, remove packing strap (intact)
that keeps shock compressed.  Install lower retainer
and bushing on top end.  Compress shock and re-intall
packing strap.  Position shock on suspension, cut the
packing strap, and guide top end through upper
mounting hole as the shock expands in length.  Install
upper bushing, retainer, and securing nuts.   Doing it
any other way will take many hours, big muscles, and a
lot of cursing!

Chris H.

60 NY T&C
66 Crown Convertible