Pop goes the carburettor

Hallo,

The beast (76 NYB) is finally back on the road after a long drawn out
winter that apparently isn't gone yet since it's snowing right now.
 Anyway today was the car's mini tune-up, it got plugs, a dist cap and
rotor.  The plugs weren't fouled this year which made me very happy (go
Autolite # 86!).  I had it out yesterday and I wasn't totally convinced
that the secondaries were opening, I had accleration, but no real surge
forward when I gave it some gas.  So I let it warm up today for a bit in
the garage, pulled back the throttle; the secondaries stayed shut.  So I
gave it a little longer to warm up, pushed back the throttle, POP!
 There wasn't much of a flash, but the sound was definitely loud.  The
flash (more like a bright spark) seemed to come from the very front
corner of the carb, and it distracted me enough that I still don't know
if the secondaries opened, hehehe.  So the moral of the story is my sad
remainder of a carburettor has given me more reason to rebuild, and
NEVER look down a carb when playing.  I wasn't, and I'm glad in case the
pop had turned into something more.

James