Air Compressors

It's been a while since I toyed with it but it is nearly identical to the
OEM unit but bigger.  The wiring hooks up a little different too.  IIRC,
there are two wires for power and ground, and two more for a solenoid that
opens and closes an air valve.  These units were meant to run in a system
with no reservoir.  That means, they did the job of not only inflating but
also deflating the shocks as well.  So, my understanding of the system is
that when the shocks need inflating, the compressor turns on and does just
that.  When the shocks need deflating, the electric air valve (situated in
the compressor assembly) opens and lets air out.

With the system I am building for the KImperial, I won't need that exhaust
valve.  I plan to simply install a good old fashioned mechanical leveling
valve like the ones found on every semi tractor trailer unit and every bus
on the continent.  Those are reliable and easy to replace if they do go
wrong.  To convert to this type of system I do need two other components
though.  I need a reservoir and a pressure switch.  I have a reservoir all
ready.  It came out of my 77 NYB parts car.  I need a pressure switch and
the correct fittings etc to plumb it in.  Since I am not using the
compressor to inflate and deflate the shocks directly (but rather using the
pressure in the reservoir to do that) I need a way to turn the compressor on
and off when the pressure in the reservoir demands it.  This would work
exactly like the pressure system on your home shop air compressor.  Sure, I
can go buy a new pressure switch but like so many other projects I do, half
the fun is trying to see if I can scrounge enough stuff to do it.  Those
pressure switches run about $30 too so I want to leave that as a last
resort.