From: "Daniel M Wing" <imp1983@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2003 11:18 AM
Subject: IML: Help again -oil pressure

Well,

I switched to straight 30W oil, (I let the old stuff drain overnight.
Lots of crap came out.)

Took the Imp for a drive today and things were fine for about
9 miles, and then the lifter started clacking again.  I shut it
down and let it cool awhile.  Started up and it was still a little
noisy, but then the noise faded away and she was running great.

She ran great most of the way home, but I have to climb a hill.
Once again the lifters started clacking, and bingo -oil light flickered
on.  Had to shut her down.  Let it rest a bit, started up noise
went away and she ran fine.  Idles beautifully in the driveway.

No, I didn't hook up a pressure gauge.  ( I guess I will have to get
one.)  Yes, I did try some oil detergent additive (against Dick
Benjamin's
advice.  I have used it before and it did work.)

However, I did notice that there was some oil on the front of the
transmission housing.  Could this be a rear oil seal leak?  If so
how major of a job is it to fix?)

Thanks in advance for more help.  (I'm afraid that if this ends up
being a big deal, I won't be registering for Carlsisle any time soon.)
Or, driving the Imp.    :(

Dan Wing
Marcy, NY  USA

imp1983@xxxxxxxx