Fuel Gauge

Ok- here's some questions I need to know the answers
to in order to trouble shoot my non-working fuel level
gauge...

How does the car tell how much fuel is in the tank in
my 90's AC/AY? Is there a sensor? If so, what's the
output normally like for this sensor (i.e. varriable
DC voltage, like 0 = empty, 5 volts= full, etc)?