History repeats itself

Quoting Hugh & Therese <hugtrees@xxxxxxxx>:

> him.  He was obligated to take several of them a year by Chrysler in
> order
> to be allocated a larger amount of better selling vehicles.  He was
> also
> obligated to maintain a certain inventory of spare parts and get
> training
> for technicians on a car which would never yield back the investment.

Hugh, we all agree that Imperial was never marketed right.  I always thought
though that Ma Mopar's objective may have never been to maximize Imperial
sales.  I think that the Imperial division was "used" to add prestige to the
lesser makes, even though they may have been losing money with it.  And
possibly, the connection between Chrysler and Imperial was maintained on
purpose.  When a person considring buying say a Chrysler Newport saw a super
fancy Imperial sitting in the dealership, I am sure he noticed the high quality
of the Imperial, but also noticed the similarities between his Newport and the
fancy Imperial.  That may have upgraded his immage of the lesser Newport, and
possibly made him choose the Chrysler over, say a Buick.  That may have been at
least part of the reason why the pesence of the Imperials in the dealerships
was required.

Chrysler corporation was certainly not the best in marketing as opposed to
their engineering, but I don't think they were idiots either!  Again, all this
is my opinion, not based on any sources.

D^2