Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 10:25:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bruce Stubblefield <audiblefeast@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IML: 69 FUEL TANK SENDING UNIT
     In lieu of paying $140 to have my fuel tank
sending unit rebuilt, I thought I would take a whack
at it.
       Inside is a simple rheostat wound around a flat
piece of insulator.  This little structure appears to
be insultated from the metal chassis of the sending
unit.  When disassembled, there is full continuity
between the wires of the rheostat winding and the
contact screw which attaches at the outside of the
senidng unit to the gas guage lead.  Is this right?  I
thought that a varying resistance in this circuit what
what the gas guage was measuring?
     Any helpful hints?