bad auto related laws

I thought the old car clubs had made significant progress in defeating these worthless laws. Perhaps they are back.
The worst I heard of was the crackpot idea of a California legislator to require the engines of old cars to be removed and scrapped and the cars allowed only static display. I hope somebody leaves an old VW upside down on her property.

The so-called environmental laws now require all cars here less than 25 years of so to be tested for "excess emissions" and if not passing the expensive annual test, to be repaired or taken off the road. Since the older cars aren't worth the high cost of repair and/or the parts for their emissions systems are no longer available, they end up being forcibly junked, even though they run well . Poor folks who can't afford the new models are really in trouble. Fortunately most of our Imperials aren't involved due to their age-not yet. But there are fanatics who would see them removed from the road "for the general good of the population." This "general good-" has been used to support all the "isms" of the past century.

We need to be actively involved in clubs and lobbies to protect our hobby. Otherwise it will go the way of general aviation-
legislated to death.
                                                                                                     Ted
cebuisle@xxxxxxx