Easy Sand Primer & my 1960 project

My computer got hosed due to an infection just a little while ago, and I will be adding another segment to my 1960 epic as soon as I reinstall my operating system to get WORD back, but I wanted to give a quick update.

The bodywork is primarily done, and the car has been shot in Evercoat "Easy Sand" primer, which is a catalized primer that I bought in a lime green gallon can at the auto paint place.

I was really amazed and satisfied with this product, and can't say enough good things about it.

The primer is black (color my car is to be) and went on black.  The car looked 3000 pounds heavier, even without doors, front clip, or interior.

When I sanded the primer with 400 grit sandpaper, it wetsanded easily and when scuffed turned a medium grey.  The upside to this is that the areas that are "low" and unscuffed remains black, eliminating the need for a guidecoat.  I was able to see what needed attention through the running water from the hose as I sanded, allowing me to be very precise in how long my block stayed in an area.

I was able to wet-sand my car and be absolutely certain that each area was finished (or not) on just two passes around the car.  I didn't do the roof thouroughly when I sprayed due t onot having a stepstool for reach(dumb!), and more material is needed for proper coverage there, and the primer showed this completely, where a guide coat might not have.

This primer is really super easy to deal with, and compliments the line of body fillers that I used by Evercoat.  The body fillers change a lighter shade when sanded also, so there's some consistency to their product design.  Cool products.

http://evercoat.com/auto/auto_main2.htm
For whatever reason, they don't show the lime green can that I used, but the rest of the line is there.  I also used "metal to metal" filler to cover the areas that had lead on them around the back window.  If you have a leaded area that is stripped, adhesion of standard body fillers is not as good as this product, hence the application.  Check out the kitty hair and tiger hair concoctions.

If you do your own body work, this stuff's worth looking into!

-Kenyon

Do you Yahoo!?