Mutual Suffering: '68-on Auto-Temp II

I own a '67 Convertible with air.  I haven't even looked into making the air
operative.. having too much fun with the top down and admiring the improved
braking with my new front calipers.  Every time that I read the posts on the
'68 - on Auto-Temp II system, I always considered myself lucky not to have
to mess with something so complicated.  When they work, they do a fantastic
job, but when they don't work, it sounds like a big headache in need of
attention.

Then it happened.  The a/c in my '77 Mercedes 6.9 went kaput.  The 6.9 is
basically a 450SEL with a monstrous engine and a whiz-bang hydropneumatic
suspension added in order to make things as unnecessarily complicated as any
German car can be.  A little research and a couple of posts to the Classic
Mercedes list and guess where I was told to look?  The IML sight!  As it
turns out, the a/c system used by Mercedes from '73 through '80 was the
"Auto-Temp II" system!  Same parts except for the wheel used to adjust the
temp (just cosmetic).  Almost exactly the same under the hood.  My a/c
repair guy thought that the diagrams that I printed out from the IML sight
were a godsend.  Turned out the be an expansion valve that was stuck closed.
  Replaced the receiver/drier just as a precaution.  Found the parts new on
eBay and saved a fortune.  Now I have nice, chilly air coming out of the
vents.... just like some of you in your '68 to 70whatever Imperials!  I
stuck with R-12 because my system was found to be leak free.

It appears that the Daimler/Chrysler connection started a bit earlier than
anyone had thought.

I still need repair panels for rust in my lower quarters and lower fenders.
A couple of my hubcaps rattle due to rust underneath where the pieces bolt
together... so I need to replace those as well.

Later, Greg