Electronic Ing HELP

I put on the Mopar conversion with the orange box and bought the solid state
regulator, I also had the alternator rebuilt.
When I put the battery back in I could hear a sizzle and then SMOKE from the
top lead on the alternator and from the regulator (maybe one of the leads to
the box).
OK I look around a bit and could see that I had left off a plastic protector
that covers some leads on the alternator. I could also see that I that the
BROWN wire had been the smoker. It melted lots of it's insulation off close to
the alternator.

I did not have the key "on" and when I removed the brown wire, I had no pop or
sizzle when I hooked the battery back up.
OK what did I toast or how do I test to see what I toasted? And where is the
brown wire hook up if done correctly? (on a 63) OR did I have it correct and
messed up some where else?

I have photos of this that I can send to those helpful and kind souls that are
willing to help.

Charles
31 CM6
63 IMP