Third Annual Cascade Loop Tour

Those of you from the beautiful Pacific NW, or those who
would like to visit from wherever, there's only a month left
til the third annual Cascade Loop Tour.  This year's tour
deatures SW Washington and our Mt. Rainier National Park.
Please contact me at vanhilla@xxxxxxxxxxxx to let us know
you're coming.

The itinerary is:

FRIDAY, JULY 4th.

The northern Washington/BC contingent will rendezvous in
Seattle at 9:00 AM for the trip to Portland. [3 hours.]

Portland,  SIDE TRIP:  1:00 PM convertible tour of the
waterfalls.  Hoping to have a red, a white ['67 Imp] and
a blue ['66 Imp] convertible.

DUSK:  Fireworks at the Red Lion Jantzen Beach.  One of the
biggest displays in the northwest.

SATURDAY, JULY 5th

9:00 AM [OPTIONAL] Rendezvous at Waddles Restaurant at
Jantzen Beach, a '50's diner near the hotel, for breakfast.

Depart at 10:00 AM from Waddles, out Marine Drive to
Troutdale then east on I-84 through the magnificent Columbia
River Gorge.

Rest stop, Memaloose rest area, ~70 miles from Portland.
The island where many generations of Indians placed their
dead on burial racks is visible in the center of the river.

LUNCH, Maryhill Museum, bring a sack lunch or get food
at  their deli.  1 1/2 hours for optional tour of museum, or
sightseeing, or just relaxing.  Maryhill was built by Sam
Hill, eccentric but wealthy Seattle resident as a summer
residence, and dedicated as a museum in 1926 by Queen Marie
of Roumania.  Besides her throne room, it houses an
extensive collection of Rodin sculptures and native Indian
baskets.

>From Maryhill we will proceed north on US 97 over Satus Pass
to Yakima for the night, through rolling hills, cattle,
orchard and wheat country. [About 75 miles. Total about 150
miles for the day.]

SUNDAY, JULY 6th:

8:30 AM  Breakfast

9:30 depart north on US 12 and WA SR 410 to Sunrise
[about 80 miles] for some sightseeing.  Sunrise offers a
commanding view of the NE side of Mt. Rainier, at 14,411
feet it's the highest mountain in Washington State and one
of it's three national parks.

>From there we'll travel south on WA SR 410, west on WA 706
to Paradise, on the south face of Mt. Rainier.  Paradise is
at the timberline and offers many subalpine vistas. [About
40 miles.]

We will continue our caravan to the little town of  Elbe,
where the  Seattle group will travel north on WA SR 7 to
Tacoma and the Portland group, south on WA SR 7 to Morton,
west on WA SR 12 to I-5, south to home.

--Roger van Hoy