TQ's and other carbs

<<<<<<<<Phil wrote:
The solution to most TQ problems is an Edlebrock 1406...been there, done
that. It's a perfect fit with factory air cleaner.>>>>>>>>>>

Not sure I'd agree with that. If you take that reasoning to it's logical
conclusion, what you have is the
guy who says the solution to all
these old-car problems is to just buy
a new car and junk these old crates.

To each his own. It's hard to know where to draw the line. Most of us
would agree that modern lubricants
and tires make sense. We mostly repaint our cars with modern paints and
methods. And who wants to drive around with no seat belts ?
But remember the poor guy who put a
Delcotron alternator on? Yow-eee!!
But what's really the difference between that and the racer-boy carbs?
Visibility?

We have Edelbrocks on our CJ5 and on our 56 Imp. They're OK, I guess, but
I'm in process of building up an
original WCFB for the 56. It's a good thing I don't drive the Jeep much
because the mileage is hopeless. On the other hand, the Thermo-Quad on
our 73 LeBaron starts and runs perfectly, and returns an honest 17-18
mpg at a steady 60-65.  The hard start
after a hot soak is easily solved with an insulator kit, never had any more
problem after installing that, and the
originality is important to us. It may be less so to others. And the
insulator kit is not stock, for that matter. Like I said, it's hard to know
where to draw the line.

Cheers
Michael

Roger and Michael in San Diego