1956 Gas Tank "Plug"?

At the front of the '56 Imperial gas tank (bottom side) is what appears to
be some sort of a plug or drain.  My tank had a slight leak here, in
addition to a dry rotted looking hose from the filler tube to the tank, so
I've pulled the tank in order to do a full clean up/seal the tank/check &
adjust sending unit job.  Can anyone please tell me if this plug is
threaded, and can be removed by using a 1/2" square drive to remove it?  Or
is it meant to be permament, and I should leave it alone and just clean
around it and POR-15 it to fix the seepage problem?

I have a picture of it here:
http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Fuel/1956Tank/Plug.jpg

Thanks!

Mike Trettin