Electrical Help on a '56

>From: Philippe Courant <accf-club@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>I remember a curious thing which happened to me several times on my '58
>Bui*k. I had no battery security switch so when i parked the car for a long
>time i removed the + cable from the battery post. When i installed it again
>and wedged it (i didn't tighten the nut ..) the first time i tried to crank
>the car, "click" and nothing happened ! The gauges , warning light, dome
>lights went off.. So i moved a little the battery post ( cleaned it if i
>wasn't in a hurry..) because it seems that a suddent corosion (carbon of
>sparks between post and cable ?) developped on the battery post and
>insulated the post !

Does anybody know the explanation for this?  My car has the exact problem.
The positive cable won't tighten and I haven't gotten around to replacing
it,  because it's the original and has different wires running off it.  When
I attach it the interior lights, etc. come on, but sometimes when I go to
start it- "click" and everything goes off. You may have to wiggle it a few
times before it will crank.  Why does it do this? I would have thought it
would be attached or not. I don't understand why cranking it will kill all
power.

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has exceeded
its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage!
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es