Leather Imbossing

Mick Here. Hello list.
                              There was some talk about imbossing shapes into leather and vinyl. I have just gone through all this process. I have Imbossed leather in the seats of my car. I asked sms auto fabrics to do this for me to suit my car. They sent the wrong imbossing pattern for 58 crown. All crowns are different between years. They sent me some other year. So the best way to do this is yourself. One thing needed is the original pattern or style which you want and send it to a foiler who makes a plate. This is not a dear exercise. All depends on the size. Then you have a plate with the crown or eagle on it. Next thing is to press it into the leather. I used contact and g-clamps with steal plates and pressed it with foam in between. Practice this a couple of times yourself. Also use a foam with a criss-cross backing which it sticks too. I found this to be the best way. For vinyl there are people who do high frequency welding. They will need this plate as well but you cant do this one yourself. This way I know its the right style for the car. The hardest thing is getting the correct imbossing to give to the foiler. I'm not here to bag Sms Auto Fabrics but if you get it done through them just make sure it's right and also they don't make the imbossing puffed up as it should be on my 58 Crown. I hope this helps the people asking about the imbossing. All the best,

Mick Maxwell - 58 Crown Coupe