78 NYB CARB PROBLEM

Hello everyone,
   I have carb problem with the mighty '78 NYB.  Smog
approval required that I spend a small fortune on a
new carb.  I had the work done at a local place that
does only old cars, is run by a guy older than 55 and
has done good work for me in the past.  Bottom line,
the car finally passed the smog, but now runs very
poorly.  The mechanic tells me that the severe exhaust
leaks that the car has (manifold gasket,
flange/connector after the manifold, resonator, etc.)
cause the carb to perform badly.  Does anyone know if
this is reasonable?  He also says that "none of these
carbs for this car were ever any good."  This sounds
like nonsense to me, but the smog place claims to have
screwed with the thing for 4 hours to get it to pass.
    The symptoms are rough ilde after car  is warm and
stalling when I punch the gas when the car is under no
load(coasting or in neutral).  Idle is also set way
high, probably to mask the rough idle.   Any comments?
 Has anyone had GOOD luck with replacement or rebuilt
carbs for this car?  If I take off all the smog stuff
and plug up the vacuum hoses, should that help?

Many thanks!
Bruce S
69 coupe
78 NYB