cleaning up after sealant

I'm trying to stop a leak that I think is coming from the windshield of
one of my cars, and I was using black silicone sealant.  It's virtually
impossible not to get some of that stuff smeared on the glass, and I'm
wondering what is the best thing to use to remove the excess?  I have
been waiting until it dries and then scrape it off with a razor, but
I'm not sure if that's the best way.

Mark