Imperial body designation

The 1963 service manual does NOT refer to a Y body Imperial, but to a Y
MODEL Imperial.  The letters used in Chrysler's model numbers and serial
numbers do not refer to bodies in any way, shape or form   They do, however,
refer to a the car model or line.

And there was a "Y" body Imperial - two in fact.   The 1981 Service Manual
lists the car bodies with the car lines beside it.  It shows "J" body with
Cordova (S) and Mirada (X), "M" body with Caravelle (B), Diplomat (G) and
LeBaron (F), "R" body with Gran Fury (J), St.Regis (E) and Newport / New
Yorker (T), and, yes, "Y" body with Imperial (Y).

And if you check the 1990 to 1993 books, you will see the "Y" body as being
used on 1990-1993 Chrysler Fifth Avenues and Imperials.

The pre-1967 Imperial is referred to as the "D" body, while the 1967-75
Imperial used the "C" body, shared with Plymouth Fury, Dodge Polara/Monaco
and Chrysler Newport/300/New Yorker.  It seems to upset many that the
Imperial shared its body with the lowly Plymouth Fury, but it did.  Just as
the Cadillac  DeVille body was based on the lowly Chevrolet from 1959.  The
Imperial car LINE was "Y" in all years from 1958 to 1975, but the bodies
were not.

The letter "Y" was used for all Imperial model numbers from 1958 to 1975 and
in the serial number in 1958 and again from 1965 to 1975.   The 1959
Imperial used "6" in the serial number while the 1960-64 Imperial used "9".

Bill
Vancouver, BC