IML DIGEST rebuilding 440 in 1968 Crown

Quoting Kate Triplett <ad_ablurr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> This thread is of considerable interest to me - I have as yet been unable to
> obtain any previous maintenance records for my '68 Crown other than the few
> receipts that "came with" in the glove box. The car does run splendidly with
> nary a ping on 89 octane gas, though, so I suspect the engine has been
> through an overhaul once in its life - mileage is now just over 114,000. I

With only 114K, its unlikely that the engine was rebuilt, unless it suffered a
catastrophic failure.  The factory timing specs were often a bit conservative,
and that might explain why it does not ping.  Also, you may not be advanced all
the way to the recommended 8 degrees.  Most pinging problems in these old cars
are more likely to be related to deposits due to too much city driving and not
enough high speed.

> Did the dealers do a "warranty" change to these cars when the fuel changes
> took place, or was the timing such that it was strictly after market
> rebuilding?

When unleaded gas was phased out, the 68 model year was long done with its
warranty.

D^2